Monday, 13 January 2014

Yet another one

Ever since I posted my last post, I've been getting the urge to post more stuff. I don't know why.

Anyway, it seems like some people misunderstood my last post, so I'm going to clarify some stuff to clear it all up (and probably make some other irrelevant statements regarding things that happened here).

  1. My last post was an update on how I'm doing here. I don't know but somehow my parents found it pessimistic. Let me just say that it wasn't meant to be that way. I was just talking about what I think about me getting here and how I think I should stay grounded instead of splurge my money on unnecessary stuff and show off.

  2. I am not sad here, I promise. I'm pretty happy and I'm actually really looking forward to meeting and really getting to know new people here.

  Yesterday was a Saturday and usually in Malaysia, most places would be bustling with life. But here? It was quite the complete opposite. I went down to the building reception to go to the launderette with an Indian girl I met that day to assist her with her laundry card purchase and there was no one there. Absolutely no one. It was like everyone was dead. After going to the launderette, I didn't know what else to do so I just went back to my room. And nearly died of boredom. All the other people whom I met here and am friends with on Facebook were out. I'm not friends on Facebook with the bunch of people I went to the Riverside that day so I tried searching for them on Facebook and I guess I kind of suck because I don't know their exact names so, no, I failed to find any of them to add and chat with or whatsoever. Pfffffft. Which brings me to my third point:-

  3. I need to make myself remember people's names properly so that I can search for them on Facebook in case I get really bored again.

  4. Back in Malaysia shops in malls usually close at 9pm. Here? 6pm, if I'm not wrong. According to Bob (one of the staff here), it's because of some religious thing or tradition. I totally respect that, don't get me wrong, but I'm just not used to it yet. Takes time to get used to, I guess.

Anyway, here's a photo of what I had for dinner last night; boiled potatoes and fried chicken with fresh cherry tomatoes. The fact that I took probably an hour or more to cook it really frustrated me (yes, I don't like cooking but no, I still insist on being perfectionist-ish) but I am (quite) proud to say that I cooked it myself. Probably my first ever proper self-cooked meal here. *puffs up with pride*





----------------------------------------------



"First days at new schools always feel the same. Like suddenly you're on a new planet, breathing a new atmosphere."

  I started classes today. It did feel a bit like the quote above, given that I have yet to talk to any of my classmates before this. But it was nice that I got to roughly know everyone. I had two English classes, by the way. Our English teacher was originally from Vietnam (we'll be having other English teachers as well though), and we used the first class one introducing ourselves and getting to know the rest of the people in the class. I think I remember everyone's name. Wait, I forgot a few. Oh crap. But I'll probably remember them by tomorrow (I think). We did some writing during our second English class. But anyway, the people were nice, so it was cool. 

  Anyway, I think I need an English name. I'm not exactly interested in having one, but it seems kind of necessary for social reasons? I don't know. In class, it seemed like everyone had a hard time pronouncing my name (even my teacher). My teacher even asked if I had an English name. And just for your information, everyone else had an English name, even the mainland Chinese! (I was surprised!)

  But anyway, it's almost midnight and I ought to go to bed as I have classes tomorrow (law, society and culture as well as international studies). 

  Ah, let me end this with a photo of some ice on the ground I took yesterday. I have seen snow before, and this is nothing even close to being snow, but these pieces of ice still got me really excited when I saw them on the ground yesterday afternoon. I didn't get to take a photo until it got dark, but now that I think of it, it looks better in the dark!

***Update: I realised that those were probably just grains of salt which are usually sprinkled on the roads (by local authorities I think?!) when the weather gets cold to melt ice etc. God, silly me for thinking that those were pieces of ice...



Till next time!



(Photos taken on: Sony Xperia L)

No comments:

Post a Comment