15/12/2014
About a month ago or so (if I remember correctly), one of my friends from my university's Malaysian Society, CL, suggested that we make a food expedition to London as Norwich provides us with pretty limited choices. Along with two other friends of ours - Khid and Intan, we decided to make a day trip to London.
I'd say our day started off pretty badly. Our cab arrived extremely late, causing us to subsequently miss our train. In addition to wasting the £20+ train ticket to London I had purchased online a week earlier (which already wasn't the cheapest ticket available - if I had bought the ticket online a few minutes earlier I would've gotten it for only £10+), I ended up having to pay £50.50 for another train ticket (as tickets which are bought on the day of your journey are usually way more expensive than if you were to buy them in advance). I clearly wasn't happy. I was rather hesitant in spending so much but I, despite having a rather stingy attitude when it comes to spending (my father's) money, managed to shove the thought to the back of my head, convincing myself that it should be fine as: 1) I was really looking forward to going to London and did not want to abandon our plans; and 2) I seldom spend much money in Norwich as I tend to feel bad (hence the stinginess I mentioned earlier) - considering the fact that the amount of money I'm spending just to study overseas isn't even mine, which has even prompted my parents to tell me off and advise me to "indulge every once in a while".
We arrived in London at about 1pm and had lunch at a cafe selling Chinese food. It was really tiny and we had to share a table with a couple. I ended up ordering 拉面 with soup and roast pork. The portion was really big and I was actually surprised that I managed to finish it. We ordered lamb skewers to share as well and it was not too bad. Unfortunately, I was not being Asian enough at that time to get photos of our food (unlike how I usually do).
With our bellies full (literally, considering the portions of the noodles we had), we then took the Underground to the Marble Arch station (I think). CL, Khid and I then went to Salt, an Indian 'Whisky Bar and Dining Room' (while Intan went to pass some stuff to her mother). I was planning to walk around and do some (window) shopping at Oxford Street but sat down and chatted with them for a while. After about half an hour or so (or maybe even an hour...), I left for Oxford Street which was just around the corner. When I got back to Salt, I found it kind of fascinating that Khid and CL had placed a bet on the idea that I would return with both my hands full of bags. Unfortunately (for Khid), all I had when I returned was a small Zara paper bag. Also, Intan was there by the time I got back. Oh, also, Eric joined us briefly at Salt before leaving us while we were on our way to Hyde Park.
Oxford Street
An intentionally blurred photo of the pretty Christmas decorations outside Selfridges!
Marble Arch
After that, we explored Winter Wonderland (and its Christmas Market) in Hyde Park.
Winter Wonderland, Hyde Park
Winter Wonderland from afar
Tea-candle holders which I found really pretty!
I think I have a thing for dream catchers, I mean, they're just so pretty!
One of the many rides they had there
Christmas (tree) decorations
For some weird reason I myself can't even comprehend, although this was probably my fourth or fifth time in London, I still got the usual "it's-so-nice-to-be-back!" feeling.
I'll be back again soon, London!
(Photos taken on: Sony Xperia L)



No comments:
Post a Comment